Certified Inpatient Coder (CIC), a new inpatient medical coding certification standard, is the first certificate dedicated completely to inpatient hospital/facility coding.
The CIC certifies expert-level knowledge and expertise in extracting data from medical records for ICD-10-CM and ICD-10-PCS coding, as well as specialist payment understanding in Medicare Severity Diagnosis Related Groups (MS-DRGs) and the Inpatient Prospective Payment System (IPPS) (IPPS). Certified coders make 40% more than non-credentialed programmers, so invest in your future with the CIC credential.
What is the salary of a CIC?
- Non-credentialed medical coders earn an average of $42,015 per year, however possessing the CIC credential considerably boosts your earning potential.
- In the United States, the average Inpatient Coder pay is $58,000.
- It differs depending upon where you are living and which company you are working for.
- Inpatient medical coding is a specialized field that necessitates a high level of skill to accurately identify diagnoses and treatments in a hospital or facility setting.
OBJECTIVES OF CIC:
- Expertise in reviewing medical records to extract the information needed for proper inpatient coding.
- Superior knowledge of current laws, regulations, and issues involving medical coding, compliance, and reimbursement under the MS-DRG system and IPPS Expertise in assigning appropriate ICD-10 medical codes for diagnoses and procedures done in the inpatient setting.
- Strong ability to quickly integrate coding and reimbursement rule changes, including updating the charge description master (CDM), fee updates, and Field Locators (FL) on the UB04.
- To appropriately categorize facility services and diagnoses, you’ll need a strong understanding of anatomy, physiology, and medical terminology.
- Understanding the reimbursement techniques used by the Hospital Outpatient Prospective Payment System (OPPS).
CIC EXAMINATION DETAILS:
- There are 60 multiple-choice questions and ten inpatient case fill-ups.
- The exam took 5 hours and 40 minutes to complete.
- There will be 2 Attempts.
- The examination cost in India is 705$.
- Examination cost in US $399 ($325 for AAPC students).
- The CIC (previously CPC-H) exam consists of questions about how to code and bill outpatient facility/hospital and freestanding ASC services to insurance carriers using CPT, HCPCS Level II procedure and supply codes, and ICD-10-CM diagnosis codes.
How to prepare for CIC Exam:
- The CIC study guide needs full each section of the CIC exam and includes practical examples, sample questions, and test-taking methods. This study guide will help you prepare for the test.
- These online mock examinations come highly recommended.
- This online course prepares students for a medical coding profession in hospital inpatient coding.
- Certain two-month courses should be studied by anybody interested in learning medical coding or by experienced coders who are weak in these areas.
- Having a solid understanding of the illness process allows professionals in revenue cycle management to keep ahead of the curve in medical decision-making and quality standards.
- Individuals wishing to take the CIC test should have extensive inpatient coding experience/knowledge or have finished this course effectively.
Medical coder requires a good awareness of medical terminology and anatomy, which is comprehensively examined on the CIC exam.
Job role for CIC:
- Superior understanding of current rules, regulations, and challenges relating to medical coding, compliance, and reimbursement under the MS-DRG and IPPS systems.
- Medical record review expertise to extract the information needed to enable appropriate inpatient coding.
- Understand the UHDDS reporting requirements.
- An understanding of anatomy, physiology, and medical terminology is essential to classify facility services and diagnoses appropriately.
- Capability to spot documentation errors and properly ask providers for proper code extraction.
- Expertise in assigning correct ICD-10-CM medical codes for diagnoses and treatments done in the hospital.
- Determine the POA situation and apply indications.
- Understand the impact of hospital readmission within 30 days.
- Learn about the 72-hour rule and how services provided prior to admission are documented.
- Pharmacology knowledge, including common medications, their purposes, and negative effects.
CIC Exam books for 2021:
- ICD-10 PCS EXPERT
- ICD-10 CM EXPERT
This is the necessary medical code textbook set for Certified Inpatient Coder (CIC) aspirants.